WhAT WE DO
The First Tee of Pittsburgh (commonly referred to as TFTP ) is a non-profit youth development program that delivers life skills and character education to young people ages 5-18 through the game of golf. Participants will learn lessons in putting, chipping, pitching, full swing and on course play while they also learn healthy habits, goal setting, Respect, Courtesy, Confidence and more.
The First Tee of Pittsburgh’s mission: To impact the lives of young people by providing educational programs that build character, instill life-enhancing values and promote healthy choices through the game of golf.
What the Experts Say
An independent research study* confirmed that youth involved in The First Tee Life Skills Experience (the curriculum delivered at chapters) learn and use life skills on the golf course and transfer these skills to other areas of their life. In fact, 100% of The First Tee participants interviewed said they transferred life skills learned at The First Tee to school. Seventy-eight percent are transferring skills such as decision making, setting goals and managing their emotions from the golf course to other areas of their lives including situations with friends, family, after school activities and jobs. The study also revealed The First Tee Life Skills Experience’s ability to impart core values on youth. After participating in The First Tee for three years, 73% reported high confidence in their academic ability and 82% felt confident in their social abilities with peers.
* “Longitudinal Effects of The First Tee Life Skills Education Program on Positive Youth Development” led by University of Minnesota’s Maureen R. Weiss, Ph.D. from 2005 to 2008. Visit www.thefirsttee.org to read the full summary report.
The First Tee Nine Core Values
Newsletter Members get early notice about upcoming Registrations.
CLICK HERE to download our newest Parent Mini-Handbook
The Parent Mini-Handbook has all of the policies specific to The First Tee of Pittsburgh and all of our off-site program locations.
Our Programs & Levels
The First Tee of Pittsburgh classes are offered once a week for seven weeks and are divided into levels (see below) based on age, motor skill, and cognitive development. Each level builds upon the previous level.
What makes The First Tee effective in building positive character traits in young people is The First Tee Life Skills Experience, a researched based curriculum developed with the help of academic, sport psychology, youth development and golf experts, to proactively teach these lessons for life as part of the golf instruction. The Life Skills Experience is delivered by trained coaches. Through this experience, participants learn to apply life skills and transfer the positive values of golf to everyday life.
LEVELS OF THE FIRST TEE OF PITTSBURGH
PLEASE REGISTER YOUR CHILD FOR THE CORRECT CLINIC BASED ON THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- TARGET – first time golfers ages 5 & 6
- PLAYer 1 – first time golfers ages 7 to 18
- PLAYer 2 – passed PLAYer 1 requirements
- PLAYer 3 – passed PLAYer 2 requirements
- PAR 1 – for all PLAYer 3 certified golfers (min age is 9)
- PAR 2 – passed PAR 1 requirements
- PAR 3 – passed PAR 2 requirements
- Birdie 1 – for all PAR 3 certified golfers (min age is 11)
- Birdie 2 – passed Birdie 1 requirements
- Birdie 3 – passed Birdie 2 requirements
- Eagle 1 – for all Birdie 3 certified golfers (min age is 13)
- Eagle 2 – passed Eagle 1 requirements
- Eagle 3 – passed Eagle 2 requirements
- ACE – for all Eagle 3 certified golfers
THE FIRST TEE OF PITTSBURGH OFFERS 6 SESSIONS PER YEAR
- Winter SIM Leagues (indoor) – Jan into Feb – 5 weeks – The Bob & Pleasant Ridge only
- Indoor Pre-Season* – mid Feb thru March – 7 weeks – The Bob & Pleasant Ridge only
- Spring* – mid April into June – 7 weeks – most locations
- Summer* – July and August – 7 weeks – most locations
- Fall* – mid September thru October – 7 weeks – most locations
- Year-End SIM Leagues (indoor) – Nov into Dec – 5 weeks – The Bob & Pleasant Ridge only
* = certification sessions
Clinics for groups from schools, youth serving agencies, faith groups and clubs are scheduled throughout the year with the group leaders to meet the specific needs of each group.
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- The First Tee of Pittsburgh provides all equipment needed for each clinic. Please label personal equipment.
- All Clinics are capped and registration is first come, first served.
- You will not receive any addtional confirmation regarding your registration unless there is an issue. Please arrive at the first class TEN minutes before the start time.
- Target, PLAYer and PAR level participants should wear comfortable clothes and athletic shoes.
- Birdie, Eagle, and Ace participants must come in golf appropriate attire unless otherwise specified.
- Scholarships (financial aid) are available for ALL clinics at ALL locations.
- Parent orientation is held week 1 of each session during the first 20 minutes of the class. Information about the program, enrichment opportunities, and other benefits are reviewed.
- Weather cancellations are posted one hour before class time on our website AND on our Facebook page. Please “LIKE” our Facebook page to get the most updated information.
- Please DO NOT call the local golf courses about program information. Please call The First Tee of Pittsburgh at 412-622-0108.
- Make-up classes only occur if 2 or more classes of a session are canceled.
- THE REGISTRATION PROCESS IS NOT COMPLETE UNTIL PAYMENT IS RECEIVED BY THE FIRST TEE OF PITTSBURGH. A PARTICIPANT SPOT WILL NOT BE HELD WITHOUT PAYMENT IN FULL OR COMPLETED SCHOLARSHIP (FINANCIAL AID) FORM.
PLEASE CALL ALISON BOYLE AT 412-622-0108 FOR ANY QUESTIONS CONCERNING REGISTRATION OR PAYMENT. OR, EMAIL HER AT ABOYLE@THEFIRSTTEEPITTSBURGH.ORG
TARGET: The TARGET level is broken down into six components which are used to spark curiosity in the game of golf, meet new people, and have fun. In the TARGET level, The First Tee concepts of interpersonal skills and self-management are the focus of each lesson. The TARGET level is for 5 and 6 year old participants.
PLAYer: The PLAYer level (PLAYer 1, PLAYer 2, & PLAYer 3) helps to establish the foundation for young people to become lifelong PLAYers of the game of golf. The PLAYer level starts at 7 years old and is the introductory level for all PLAYers new to The First Tee. The PLAYer level introduces the Nine Core Values and incorporates them into each lesson. (TARGET enrollment is not a requirement to participate at the PLAYer level).
PAR: The PAR level (PAR 1, PAR 2, & PAR 3) participants are introduced to the intellectual side of playing golf while learning skills that will help them on and off the golf course. The main focus of the PAR level is to assist participants in acquiring several self-management techniques that will help them in managing their thoughts, emotions, and behaviors in order to perform at their best on and off the golf course. The focus of the PAR core lessons is on self-management which helps to provide the underpinnings for the external self-management and goal setting skills PLAYers will acquire at the Birdie and Eagle levels. The ideal age for cognitive, emotional, and physical readiness for the PAR level is 9 years old.
Birdie: In the Birdie level (Birdie 1, Birdie 2, & Birdie 3), the life skill focus is on goal setting. Participants with the ability to set and pursue their own goals will have a greater sense of purpose, direction, and motivation in their lives. The purpose of the Birdie level is to help participants learn how to identify personal goals and to develop strategy for reaching their goals. The ideal age of cognitive, emotional, and physical readiness for the Birdie level is 11 years old.
Eagle: During the Eagle level (Eagle 1, Eagle 2, & Eagle 3), the focus is on developing the participant in all aspects of golf and life. Participants build on the self-management, interpersonal skills, and goal setting techniques of the PLAYer, Par, and Birdie levels with a specific emphasis on resilience skills, conflict resolution, and planning for the future. The Eagle level has a mandatory starting age of 13 years old.